America is in grave danger.
With Trump’s surprise victory in November 2016, the Republican Party controls the White House and both houses of Congress.
This means that Trump, Paul Ryan, and their cronies can enact their agenda to take America backward:
- Letting big business exploit working Americans and pollute our air and water.
- Taking away Americans’ access to affordable health care.
- Shattering America’s most important international friendships and alliances.
- Turning away the most vulnerable from our formerly-welcoming shores.
- Making it harder, or impossible, for anyone who isn’t white, male, straight, and filthy-rich to realize the American Dream.
Closer to home here in North Carolina, we won an important victory in November 2016 by electing Roy Cooper to the governor’s mansion — but thanks to Republican gerrymanders and vote suppression, they’ve got a veto-proof majority in the state legislature, and are bound and determined to use that majority to make life easier for big businesses, polluters, and the wealthy, and harder for everyday working North Carolinians.
One of the few silver linings of Trump’s presidency is that it has sparked a wave of resistance throughout the United States. Millions of Americans, seeing the danger his presidency poses to every single one of us, are getting involved: calling our congressional representatives, joining protests and marches, donating our time and energy to the resistance.
But the most important act of resistance is this: Every single American who opposes the Trump agenda must exercise their right to vote in November 2018 and elect state legislators and members of Congress who will stand up to Trump and his cronies.
Even after last November’s disaster, we in the Democratic Party still believe in the American Dream:
- Opportunity and prosperity for everyone, and a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work.
- Clean air and water, so we can enjoy and preserve the bounty of nature.
- Great public schools for our kids, to raise the next generation of citizens and patriots.
- A government that works for all of us, not just the rich.
But in order to realize this vision, we’re looking for a few good people. The 2018 election is closer than you think, and we need to lay the groundwork now to take back our county, our state, and our country.
- We need people to help register voters, pound the pavement, make phone calls, and get others involved.
- We need people to amplify the message of resistance on their social media accounts and in their everyday interactions.
- We need people to organize events, raise funds, and bring people together to stand up to Trump and his cronies.
- We need to spread the word about our great 2018 candidates!
- We need everyone to VOTE!