Voting in the 2018 Primary
Voting isn’t just a right, it’s a responsibility of citizenship. Every time we have an election, it’s our opportunity to influence the direction of our local, state, and federal government. The right to vote must be protected, but it must also be exercised.
1. Registering to Vote
There are two ways to register to vote (or update your voter registration) in North Carolina:
- One-Stop Early Voting: You can register and vote on the same day! Come to One-Stop Early Voting with any of the following:
- North Carolina driver license
- Other photo identification issued by a government agency. Any government-issued photo ID is acceptable, so long as the card bears the voter’s current name and current address.
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document showing the voter’s name and address
- A current college/university photo identification card paired with proof of campus habitation
For more information about one-stop early voting, see the NCSBE website.
- Traditional Registration: Fill out this form and return it to your county Board of Elections.
To check your voter registration and make sure it’s up to date, use the voter registration lookup form on the NCSBE website.
2. Learn About the Candidates
There are three main ways for folks in Craven County to vote in the 2018 primaries: Absentee-by-mail voting, one-stop early voting, or voting on Election Day.
Absentee By-Mail Voting
Absentee-by-mail voting is fairly self-explanatory. A voter fills out a request form for an absentee ballot, then mails it to their county board of elections. The BOE will process the form and mail the voter a ballot, which the voter should complete, have witnessed, and return by mail.
Any registered North Carolina voter may request an absentee ballot by mail. No excuse is needed to vote by absentee. To request an absentee ballot, complete and submit the North Carolina Absentee Ballot Request Form.
For more information about Absentee-By-Mail voting, check the NCSBE website.
One-Stop Early Voting
Don’t want to worry about long lines on Election Day? Stop by One-Stop Early Voting and get your vote in. We’re encouraging as many people as possible to vote early and bring as many friends, family members, and neighbors with them as possible!
This is your opportunity to vote for the Democrats who will represent us on the ticket this fall. If you need to register to vote or change your voter registration, one-stop is the perfect opportunity!
Hours and Locations
April 19 – May 5:
Craven County Board of Elections, 406 Craven Street, New Bern
Saturday, April 28 & Saturday, May 5: 8:00am-1:00pm
April 23 – May 5:
Cove City Fire Department, 425 S Main St, Cove City
Vanceboro Fire Department, 375 NC-43, Vanceboro
Havelock City Hall, 1 Governmental Ave, Havelock
Saturday, May 5: 8:00am-1:00pm
Voting on Election Day
Some people just love the Election Day experience. We get that. There’s nothing quite like going into that booth on a Tuesday and being given that fancy “I Voted” sticker when you leave.
Election Day for the 2018 primary in North Carolina is Tuesday, May 8.
To find your polling place, use the voter registration lookup form on the NCSBE website.